Showing posts with label news. Show all posts
Showing posts with label news. Show all posts

New Zealand Earthquake 2011 Update: Death toll rises to 65

The largest city in the South Island of New Zealand, Christchurch continues to feel the devastation brought about by the 6.3 magnitude earthquake which struck the area at 12:51 p.m. (local time) on Tuesday, February 22. The country's Prime Minister John Key said the death toll now has risen to at least 65.

Rescuers on top of the collapsed Pyne Gould Guiness Building in central Christchurch
Photo / Mark Mitchel


Seventeen casualties had been reported earlier by civil defence authorities. The number of deaths is expected to rise since some people are still reportedly trapped in buildings.

Here's an excerpt of a New Zealand Herald report detailing the catastrophic event:

Shallow quake


GNS Science said today's quake was centred at Lyttelton at a depth of 5km at 12.51pm.


GNS said the earthquake would have caused more damage than the original 7.1 earthquake on September 4 because of its shallow depth.


Its data centre manager Kevin Fenaughty said residents said the quake's epicentre was located in the "worst possible location" for the city.


"It's a nightmare. A lot of people were just getting back on their feet after the original quake."


Another earthquake of 4.5 struck at 1.21pm, 10 km east of Diamond Harbour.



Streets flooded


Herald reporter Jarrod Booker said the shake lasted approximately one minute and was extremely violent - rocking buildings back and forth.


He said people had left buildings and were out on the streets where tarmac had cracked and water mains had burst, causing extensive flooding.


Tuam Street had become a river as water poured from ruptures in the road and was impassable in places.


The whole central city was in grid lock as people tried to evacuate central businesses to check their homes, Jarrod Booker said.


Most traffic lights were out and cars were also having to negotiate around hordes of people on foot.


Jarrod Booker said that he could hear sirens but that it would be difficult for emergency services to access the city because of the gridlock.


"Even sitting in a car you can feel continual shaking on a smaller scale than the original quake," he said.


Some pedestrians were standing on the footpaths and staring into space, apparently in shock.



'Great confusion'

Mayor Bob Parker said he was "thrown quite a distance" by the earthquake.


"That was, in the city central anyway, as violent as the one that happened on the 4th of September," he told Radio New Zealand.


Mr Parker said there were scenes of "great confusion" on the streets, also saying the roads were jammed as vehicles sought to get out of the central city.


"I know of injuries in my building and there are unconfirmed reports of serious injuries in the city."


Mr Parker did not know the extent of damage to the city's infrastructure, but advised people not to drink the water supply.


"We've been through this before this once, we now need to think we did at that time."



Buildings collapsed


Jarrod Booker said Christchurch's historic cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament on Barbadoes Street had half collapsed, with the remaining part of the building filled with cracks.


There was huge damage to other older buildings with large amounts of debris falling to the ground, he said.


He said the carpark at the Christchurch Star had turned into a river with huge cracks and that the roads had risen in areas.


People were comforting people outside amid a general state of shock as they tried to absorb what had happened, he said.


Radio New Zealand reported widespread damage to the city centre, with a church on Durham St collapsed and concrete lifted by up to a metre.


TV3 reported the Provincial Chambers Building had collapsed and it was believed people were trapped inside.


A listener told Newstalk ZB that the Piko Wholefoods building on Kilmore Street near the city centre, which was hit in the September 4 earthquake, was now "practically non-existent".


The spire on the Christchurch Cathedral had also collapsed.


A man said he and 19 other colleagues are trapped in Christchurch's Forsyth Barr building on Colombo Street.


Gary Moore told NZPA workers were stuck on the 12th floor as the stairwell had collapsed. He was not sure if people were trapped on other floors.


People were in a state of shock but were not injured and he urged NZPA to let somebody know.


He described the first quake and the aftershocks as catastrophic.


"We watched the cathedral collapse out our window while we were holding onto the walls."


"Every aftershock sends us rushing under the desks. It's very unnerving but we can clearly see there are other priorities out the window. There has been a lot of damage and I guess people are attending to that before they come and get us," he said.


A Newstalk ZB reporter in Christchurch said liquefaction was spewing out of the ground at St Albans High School.


School children had to be removed from the fields with liquefaction also spewing from the tennis courts.

Intensity 4 Earthquake strikes off Baguio

Early morning, yesterday, residents of Baguio City and nearby areas were awakened from sleep after an earthquake struck, a day after 3 mild tremors hit the Mountain City.

According to Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Philvolcs), the Summer Capital felt the
Intensity 4 earthquake at around 6:20 am on Friday, February 18, 2011.

The quake also jolted some parts of Northern Luzon. It was felt at Intensity 3 in San Fernando, La Union, and Intensity 2 in Burgos, Ilocos Sur. The quake's epicenter was 10 kilometers northwest of La Trinidad,
Benguet.

Philvolcs added that the quake was of tectonic origin and that it expects aftershocks. However, the institute said it does not expect any damage from the earthquake.

Based on PHIVOLCS' Earthquake Intensity Scale, an Intensity 4 earthquake has this general impact:

IV Moderately Strong - Felt generally by people indoors and by some people outdoors. Light sleepers are awakened. Vibration is felt like a passing of heavy truck. Hanging objects swing considerably. Dinner, plates, glasses, windows and doors rattle. Floors and walls of wood framed buildings creak. Standing motor cars may rock slightly. Liquids in containers are slightly disturbed. Water in containers oscillate strongly. Rumbling sound may sometimes be heard.

Residents of Baguio can't help to get worried since it reminds them of the tragic event 20 years ago when a 7.8 earthquake devastated their area that killed over a thousand people and left a wide swath of devastation.

Later in the evening, two more magnitude 3 earthquakes were felt in Baguio City.

Via ABS-CBN News.

Party-list group gives away free condoms on Valentine's Day

The Pro-Reproductive Health (RH) party-list group, Akbayan gathered at the Mega-Q Mart (formerly Nepa-Q Mart) along EDSA to give out free condoms to vendors and market goers Valentine's Day, 2011.

Despite the opposition coming from the Catholic Church on the distribution of condoms, the Party continued to distribute the materials in an effort to inform people on reproductive rights and secure support for the passage of the RH bill.

The group said the activity was in continuation of the Department of Health's (DOH) initiative under then Secretary Esperanza Cabral, last year.

The DOH earlier said on reports that they will not distribute condoms this year.

The Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) earlier encouraged the DOH not to dispense condoms, saying that it sends a wrong message to the youth encouraging premarital sex.

PNoy meets Heidi Mendoza

President Noynoy Aquino (PNoy) had a meeting with the AFP Fund Scandal whistle-blower Heidi Mendoza, last night. It was in accordance with PNoy's offer of a possible government post for the former state auditor.



I talked to Heidi Mendoza last night. As I mentioned last week, I will talk to her and I will ask her if she is still interested. She imposed some of her parameters and she is thinking about whether or not to join government again,” PNoy said.

The meeting was attended by Mendoza's husband, Budget Secretary Florencio Abad, and President Spokesman Edwin Lacierda. It took place at Malacanang's Premier Guest House from 6:30 to 8:00 in the evening, yesterday.

Info courtesy of the Manila Bulletin.

His son, not Angelo Reyes was reading Trump's 'The Art of the Deal' book- Family

The family of the late Ex-AFP Chief Angelo Reyes clarified that he was not the one reading the book 'The Art of the Deal' by Donald Trump but his son. The book was allegedly carried by Reyes at the time of his death.

Reyes died of apparent suicide yesterday. He was 65 years old and is survived by Teresita, his wife and 5 sons.

'The Art of the Deal' is about the life of American business tycoon Donald Trump. It details how Trump became successful in the real estate industry in New York.

The book of the same title which was found at the site of Reyes's death is now in the hands of the Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) unit of the Philippine National Police who are doing an investigation over Reyes's death.

DND issues statement on its former secretary Angelo Reyes's death

The government agency that once had him as secretary, The Department of National Defense (DND) issued a statement on the tragic death of Angelo Reyes on February 8, 2011. Through the government's website, DND said

“The news on the tragic death of former DND Secretary Angelo Reyes comes as a shock to the Department of National Defense and the Armed Forces of the Phillippines.”

The Department added, “Secretary Voltaire Gazmin together with the officials, officers, men and women of the Department conveys their deep sympathies and condolences to the family of former Secretary Reyes.”

Here are more Noypistuff articles about the death of Ex-AFP Chief Angelo Reyes.

Angelo Reyes's Family releases statement on former Defense Secretary's death
Ex-AFP Chief Angelo Reyes commits suicide

Angelo Reyes's Family releases statement on former Defense Secretary's death

Through their counsel, Atty. Bonifacio Alentajan, the family of the former AFP Chief of Staff and Defense Secretary Angelo Reyes issued an official statement on the apparent suicide of their family head.

Here is what the statement says,

Angelo Reyes, a loving husband to our mother and a dedicated father to us, his children in mourning, is no more.

As we pray for the eternal repose of his soul, we ask that we be allowed the privacy to understand and find meaning in this tragedy.

Words do not do justice to what we are feeling right now. Words after all, contributed vastly to our having lost our beloved Angie.

Nonetheless, we find comfort in the outpouring of symphaties and prayers of our father.

We find strength in our unwavering belief that all his life, our father served our country with honor, dedication and integrity.

In closing, allow us to share a quote with you.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, Love leaves a memory no one can steal."

Rest now, Papa

Related article: Ex-AFP Chief Angelo Reyes commits suicide

Ex-AFP Chief Angelo Reyes commits suicide

Former Defense Secretary and Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief Angelo Reyes died today, February 8, 2011 after shooting himself in front of his mother's grave at the Loyola Memorial Park in Marikina City.

Reyes was 65 years old.

According to an Inquirer.net report, Reyes was rushed to Quirino Memorial Medical Center to revive him at 7:45AM. He was proclaimed dead on arrival by the doctors who resuscitated him.

Health Secretary Enrique Ona confirmed that Reyes died of gunshot wound to the heart. He added that the cause and the kind of gun used have not been determined and are still under investigation.

In the same report, the Health Secretary said:

"He was brought here to the emergency room, wala nang pulso at di na humihinga. Nilagyan ng tubo at nag-resuscitation, swero, binigyan ng gamot. But after 45 minutes, which means that at 8:32 a.m., talagang wala na (without pulse and not breathing. He was tubated and resuscitated, put on IV. But after 45 minutes, which means that at 8:32 a.m., he’s really gone)."

Here are more excerpts from the Inquirer.net report:

Reyes, who earlier suffered a mild stroke before the congressional investigations on the alleged AFP financial irregularities, said he could not take anymore the smear campaign against his name and his family.

“Not my family,” he said.

Reyes, who loved his mother very much when she was still alive, earlier told the Philippine Daily Inquirer in an interview that he would never do anything that would besmirch the name of “my good mother.”

Reyes, a graduate of Philippine Military Academy Class ’66, was AFP chief under President Joseph Estrada, and secretary of defense, interior and local government, and energy during the term of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo from 2001 to 2003. He graduated as the class valedictorian in high school and was among the top ten graduates of the PMA.

He went on to obtain two masteral degrees, namely: Masters in Business Administration from Asian Institute of Management in 1973 and a Master of Public Administration from Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government in 1991. He also took up International Defense Management Course in Monterey, California in 1983.

In 1987, he graduated No. 1 in Trust Operations Management Course conducted by the Trust Institutes Foundation of the Philippines at the Ateneo Business School which eventually earned him a scholarship to the Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois.

Zeng Qiangbao, Chinese dungeon rapist faces death penalty

A court in China found 40 year-old Zeng Qiangbao guilty of kidnapping and caging 2 teen girls in a dungeon and raping 9 other women. The Chinese steel factory worker was sentenced to death.

According to China Daily, the court heard that for 590 days and 317 days Qiangbao caged 2 teenage girls in a dungeon to have them as sex slaves until the police rescued them on May 14, 2010.
The case's prosecutor said that Qiangbao abducted 16-year-old Hu on Sept 16, 2008 and took her to a dungeon under his house and raped her. Qiangbao also kidnapped again 19-year-old girl Zhou and did the same. The two girls were repeatedly beaten and sexually assaulted.
The girls were only rescued on May 14, 2010 when a man surnamed Du found a note in a partially dismantled television while his friend's electronics repair shop.

"Help. I've been held prisoner underground for more than a year," the note read.

The note also contained a hand-drawn map that directs to the dungeon, including the telephone number and address of Zhou's family.

Du called the number and informed the father, who lived just 200 meters from where his daughter was being held. The father immediately called police and arrived at the scene a few hours later.

The police later rushed to the scene and found the two girls naked and on the verge of death.

The case shocked the media and the public, and Qiangbao was referred to as a "dungeon devil".

Zeng Qiangbao was also convicted of raping 9 other women.

8 Pesos Jeepney Fare to take effect on February 2, 2011

After the taxi fare increase during the start of the year, another burden to regular PUV (public utility vehicles) commuters is about to take effect this month of February.

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) approved the P8 jeepney fare in Manila which is P1 more than the current rate of P7. The provincial P1 jeepney fare increase was also approved by the Board. The said fare hikes will take effect on Wednesday, February 2, 2011.


Via Inquirer, Manuel Iway, an LTFRB board member, released the following statements:

“The provisional increase was granted because the board took judicial notice that the prices of goods have been going up, as well as the cost of maintaining jeepney operations, affecting the livelihood of operators.”
, Iway said.

While the interest of the public is still the main concern, we must also protect the rights of the jeepney operators, who are serving vital industries,” Iway added.

Pasang Masda and the Federation of Jeepney Operators and Drivers Association of the Philippines were the people behind the request of the newly approved jeepney fare hike.

Acid Attack Hoax: Bethany Storro Threw Acid On Her Face


The story of a woman from Vancouver, Bethany Storro, touched the hearts of many people when she claimed that one day, while purchasing sunglasses, a woman described as African-American approached her and asked if she wanted a drink. When she refused, the woman threw the cup on her face which actually contained acid.

After her story broke, she was invited to tell about it in Oprah show but recent events have caused the appearance to get canceled. Apparently, the acid on her face was self-inflicted. Authorities concluded this after obtaining several information in her statement that were not making any sense. Reports also claim that police found suspicious objects in her home that led to their questioning.

Bethany Storro now confessed to the police that she poured acid on herself. The motives of the action and whether authorities and prosecutors will file charges against her action are still unknown.

Acid Attack Hoax: Bethany Storro Threw Acid On Her Face


The story of a woman from Vancouver, Bethany Storro, touched the hearts of many people when she claimed that one day, while purchasing sunglasses, a woman described as African-American approached her and asked if she wanted a drink. When she refused, the woman threw the cup on her face which actually contained acid.

After her story broke, she was invited to tell about it in Oprah show but recent events have caused the appearance to get canceled. Apparently, the acid on her face was self-inflicted. Authorities concluded this after obtaining several information in her statement that were not making any sense. Reports also claim that police found suspicious objects in her home that led to their questioning.

Bethany Storro now confessed to the police that she poured acid on herself. The motives of the action and whether authorities and prosecutors will file charges against her action are still unknown.